Zappos.com is well-known for its culture and customer focus. What makes Zappos.com a service company? During her keynote this afternoon at NACCM, Jamie Naughton, speaker of the house, chief culture ambassador, for Zappos.com explained:
- There's a toll-free number on every page of the Zappos.com website. "We want to talk to our customers," Naughton says. "We think it's crazy not to want to talk to customers."
- 24-hour customer service. "We're there when you need us," she says.
- Free shipping and free returns. It takes the fear out of ordering shoes and clothes online
- 365-day return policy, for those customers who may be undecided.
- Fast and accurate fulfillment. The warehouse runs 24/7, so it may be only a couple of hours before an order is fulfilled.
- Surprise upgrades. Zappos offers 3-5 day shipping, but some customers may get their order by 10am the next day as a surprise. "We want to wow our customers," Naughton says.
- Exceptional customer service. Customer service reps can shop up to five competitors' sites for a customer if Zappos.com doesn't have an item she's looking for. There are no call time limits, sales quotes, or sales goals, so agents can focus on the customer experience. "You can't put a time limited on good customer service," Naughton says.
At Zappos, the culture is the brand--and the culture is all about employee and customer engagement. "Our call center is not about creating sales, "she says. "It's about creating loyalty."