Mobile Retargeting Improves Sales

Share:
Mobile Engagement
Sales
Mobile has become an important weapon in advertisers' arsenal to reach out to their customers.

Mobile has taken the world by storm. Especially because it is always within reach, the device is providing multiple opportunities for organizations to interact with their customers and prospects.The days when mobile phones were mainly used for phone calls or text messages are long gone. Today's smartphones are nothing less than small computers that give access to multiple methods of communication in a handheld device.

And an increasing number of organizations are leveraging the power of mobile to reach out to their customers and prospects anytime and anywhere. Not only do many customers open their emails while on the go, but notifications are being used to inform customers and also try to lure them into physical stores.

A just-launched study by myThings highlights that adding mobile retargeting to the advertising mix generates an additional 18 percent of sales. The study also notes that adding mobile retargeting leads to a 46 percent higher click-through rate and a 37 percent lower enhanced click-per-cost (eCPC).

While a lot of attention has been focused on smartphones, tablets also play an important role, the study, which spanned over 100 million impressions over multiple advertising campaigns in November, found. In fact, while smartphone conversions made up 55 percent of all mobile conversions, tablets accounted for the other 45 percent. Further, post-click conversions were more evenly divided--53 percent for smartphones versus 47 percent for tablets. "Ultimately, smartphones drive sales because of greater reach while enhanced usability and greater ease to finalize transactions are the main reason behind the tablet's success," the report found.

Here are some of the other findings:
- Mobile customers act faster when taking a decision than those using a desktop. In fact, the time from visit to conversion is 13 times quicker for mobile.
- Mobile is used for shopping mainly during leisure time. In fact, conversions only drop by 6 percent over the weekend compared to a 30 percent drop for desktop.
- Customers tend to browse deeper into the site's funnel when using desktops and tablets rather than mobile. In fact, 18 percent of smartphone consumers don't go beyond the homepage, while 55 percent reach a product page.

The fact that more than half of smartphone users reach a product page could mean that they are showrooming, the report notes. This makes it even more important for brick-and-mortar retailers to improve their in-store experience. As we noted in this article, attempts to combat showrooming tend to backfire and instead retailers need to deliver added value to avoid this phenomenon.

EXPERT OPINION
EXPERT OPINION